Sunday, October 14, 2012

Memories with My Extended Family

I said before that growing up with 12 nieces and nephews was a lot like having a bunch of siblings that I didn't live with, but treated as such. I thought maybe I could post a memory about each one of them...

My Sister Dawn's Family:

Corbin (Now Age 21)- When we were little, everyone that saw Corbin and I together thought we were twins...we were both complete toe-heads (crazy white hair) and had very similar facial features which we've now grown out of. We were born only six months apart and my mom always used to say that Corbin was supposed to be hers, but that he was goofing around up in heaven and missed the boat down to Earth, so he was born to my sister instead. I remember playing on the same soft ball team when we were little and just playing in the grass in the outfield instead of participating in the game.
There's me on the right, and Corb is the first one down the slide...

Robbie (Now Age 24)- Robbie was the big brother I really never wanted...ha. He was a big bully and treated me exactly as he would an annoying little sister. He was a lot like his father, very insensitive and big into sports. He never cried, and if he did he sure wouldn't let anyone see. I remember being at Lake Powell and trying to make him let me help dig a fire pit. He ended up accidentally hitting me in the head with the shovel and I had to get stitches, he still said I was being a baby...how's that for brotherly love? He also just got married last month and has a little girl that is almost two years old.

Hailey (Now 15) & Kenlee (12)- Hailey has always been a little diva. She loves to be the center of attention and switches from idolizing me to completely rebelling against me. Kenlee is sweet, most of the time. She can get pouty when she doesn't get her way, but what little girl doesn't? I live with Dawn now, and it's only her and the girls and I since both boys have moved out. I remember babysitting the girls when they were little and playing dolls with them. We'd make houses for them and the girls would always be angry with me because my house turned out better, so I'd always trade them or re do theirs.:) Now-a-days we share everything from clothes to make-up, they confide in me but really don't take anything I say seriously...which is okay.

My Sister Deena's Family:

Nicolas (Now 19)- Even though I was close with all of my nieces and nephews at some point, Nic has always been my baby brother. We fought, we cried, we laughed and we loved each other to absolutely no end. He even lived with me for quite a while when we were both in elementary school. I remember doing some really awful things to him though....like pouring mud into an empty Sees Chocolate box and convincing him to eat it....and putting make up and girl clothes on him and making him try to convince my friends that he was a girl.....yeah- I was pretty bad. But now that I think about it, he really never got upset with me. And even though I took advantage of his naivety, I adored him and took anyone else down who even thought of hurting him- I was extremely protective. I was heart broken when he moved to TX, and did all I could to be there for him when his Dad passed away...(see previous blog). He is married now....which is still so crazy to me. But I'll always see him as my baby bro...

Adam (12) & Mathew (10)- Adam is just a sweetheart. He completely idolizes Nic and says he will never be too old to give me hugs and kisses. He is an awesome athlete and I remember teaching him how to make my special top-ramen. Mathew is a crazy bundle of energy. He is always smiling and laughing and never complains about anything....I remember being at my house and watching him swim in the kiddie pool in our yard, Nic and I forgot to put sunblock on him and Deena was not happy with us when she got back from work. 
Below L to R: Mathew, Adam, Corbin, Nic (About 2010)

My Brother Doug's Family:

Jessica (Now Age 22)- Jess and I were two of a kind and yet completely opposite at the same time. We both loved to sing and dance, and were convinced that when we grew up we would have our own music group called Heart-to-Heart and be famous and travel the world. Though we loved to do things together, we were also competitive! I always felt like I was trying to catch up with her. I remember she spent four hours with me on the trampoline once teaching me how to do a front flip. This photo is actually from that very day.:) She's been married for almost three years now.


Joshua (Age 19)- Josh and I have always gotten along. I can't recall one single fight. He has always been super laid back, happy to do whatever I wanted to do. Though we would get pretty competitive playing Pokemon Stadium on the N-64! I remember when we were about nine years old, we decided that if we weren't related we would get married and we had a pretend ceremony in my back yard. It wasn't romantic, we just wanted to live together so we could play all the time! He is currently on an LDS mission in Cambodia.

Taylor (17)- Taylor is the sweetest, most musically gifted kid I have ever known. He tries to please absolutely everyone and is so sensitive to the needs of others. He plays the piano and guitar and bass by ear, and also has a lovely voice. He also used to be a wonderful athlete, particularly with baseball, but has recently had some heart problems and now isn't allowed to play sports of any kind. As you could imagine, for someone who has played sports his entire life, this was a huge blow. He is doing well though and stays involved in his music.

Jake(15) & Alexis (12)- Jacob has an interesting past. When he was little he had extreme behavior disorders. He was diagnosed bipolar and had severe ADHD (attention deficit hyperactive disorder) by the time he was five. He would go from being completely calm and happy as can be to having screaming fits, saying that he was going to kill his parents and run away. He had to see a lot of doctors but since he was ten or so he has completely grown out of it. You would never know now, he is a very mature and happy boy and is also heavily involved in sports. Lexi is a mini Jessica. She loves to sing and dance and has won a few national dance competitions in Vegas and New York. She is quiet, but still loves to perform.

That's everyone!!

No comments:

Post a Comment